Blog Archives

Mold in the Home

Mold in the Home
The first thing to understand about mold is that there is a little mold everywhere – indoors and outdoors.  It is in the air and can be found on plants, foods, dry leaves, and other organic materials.

It is very common to find molds in homes and buildings. After all, molds grow naturally indoors.  Mold spores enter the home through doorways, windows, and heating and air conditioning systems.  Spores also enter the home on animals, clothing, shoes, bags and people. Read the rest of this entry

Homewatch Hire Gone Wrong = MOLD!

This house got very moldy because the home watch person was uneducated.  Who are you hiring?  What you need to know!

Feel free to ask a question or comment below.  You can also contact me at 239-481-3977 OR russell@bestinspector.com

How Should Mold Be Cleaned?

Mold and Air Quality – Part V

How Should Mold Be Cleaned?

Mold should be cleaned as soon as it appears. Persons who clean the mold should be free of symptoms and allergies. Small areas of mold should be cleaned using a detergent/soapy water or a commercial mildew or mold cleaner. Gloves and goggles should be worn during cleaning. The cleaned area should then be thoroughly dried. Throw away any sponges or rags used to clean mold. Read the rest of this entry

How can I prevent mold growth?

Mold and Air Quality – Part IV

What is Stachybotrys chartarum?

Stachybotrys chartarum (also known as Stachybotrys atra) is a greenish-black mold that can grow on materials such as drywall or sheetrock, ceiling tiles and wood when they become moist or water-damaged. Not all greenish-black molds are Stachybotrys chartarum. Some strains of Stachybotrys chartarum may produce mycotoxins. Read the rest of this entry

Mold and Air Quality – Part III

How can I be exposed to mold?

Mold is virtually everywhere, floating in the air and on all surfaces. People are exposed to molds 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and 365 days a year. Exposures increase when indoor moldy materials becomes dried, damaged or disturbed, causing spores and other mold cells to be released into the air and then inhaled. Elevated exposure can also occur if people directly handle moldy materials or accidentally eat mold. Read the rest of this entry